I highly recommend a listen to Peter Day’s (one of THE voices of Radio 4) programme on design thinking. Great and hugely diverse references to impact as the true measure of design.
- Great reference to Virgin’s terminal experience (which Engine can be proud of). And the plane – if you want people to sleep on planes, don’t give them a sofabed, give them a chair – and a bed!
- And Churchill’s vision for Design Council – “Britain can make it!” But what companies need from designers is changing – it’s not the physical artefact, and not just an aesthetic. Systems, services and business models are now being designed and protoyped.
- Street Car was a business model design idea from RCA graduates.
- Buster drain cleaner: owner jumped on the designed demand programme. It hit “the soul of the company”.
- HMV Westfield store designed with online business in mind – the explosive website hits home – the shop is colour coded based on the online store. Not music, videos and games – instead listen, watch and play.
- Air conditioner manufacturer who designed components which brought massive cost effeiciencies – within the product itself and also stock control
“Design thinking is an important idea who’s design has come.” Great summary of all that’s exciting about service design right now.